Friday, October 22, 2010

Devon Avenue: The Sub Continent in Chicago

After I left Indian Boundary Park I drove over to Devon Avenue. Cathi use to live in this area. When Cathi was there it was a Jewish, Israeli neighborhood with some folks from the Middle East and southern Asia moving in. Well, it has been transformed. Today it is the home of Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshi. East of here in Rogers Park is a significant Nepali community. I love the diversity that is Chicago.


Devon Avenue

Devon is now home to restaurants, stores and businesses that reflect the Sub-Continent’s peoples. Saris, jewelry, and exotic food mart are everywhere. I went into an Islamic bookstore. I was warmly greeted and referred to as “brother.” The streets were busy with activity. Many intersections were crowded. I loved it, it felt like I had left not only Chicago but North America. However, it was the end of a very long weekend. It was time for me to go home and prepare for the coming week.


More Devon Avenue

No comments: