Thursday, October 14, 2010

Acting, Gardens, the Zoo and Work: Part I

A couple of Saturdays ago I had a full day. I mean a FULL Day. First, Cathi called me and told me a Matt Damn movie was being filmed in Chicago and they needed extras. So I stood in line with hundreds of hopeful actors. We were “auditioning”. Actually they were taking our height, shape, age and looks and comparing them with their story line. I should find out soon if I will be an extra.

The movie is Contagion. It is directed by Steven Soderbergh. It has so many stars in it. Matt Damon, Winslet, Paltrow, Marion Cotillard, jude Law and Fishburne are in it. It is about a deadly disease that is spreading around the world. As we were auditioning the stars were filming in Hong Kong. However, the disease was going to break out in Chicago.

I doubt I will be chosen but that is OK. It was so much fun to be with so many interesting folks. I loved talking with the folks in line. I felt connected talking to the audition folks as they told what the actors were doing. They showed up the de-contamination suits we would be fitted for. They told us the story would take place all over the city. It was fun being there.


LPZ Outside of the Botanical Conservatory

Afterward I walked to the Botanical Conservatory. This is found in Lincoln Park next to the zoo. It is this wonderful glass dome full of tropical plants. I have been going there since I was a child. The entrance way sets the tone. The sounds change, the lighting changes and the humidity greets you. You are entering a new world.


Entrance of Botanical Conservatory LPZ

The garden has a number of rooms. Each has a different focus or theme. Whle most of the conservatory is tropical one room is dedicated to palms.


Botanical Conservatory: Tropical

My favorite room is the room with the pond. I like the fish but I also like the sound of falling water and the bouncing of light in the room.


Botanical Conservatory: Koi Pond

The next room is a show room. It usually has flowering plants that represent a seasonal theme. I got that as fall was starting. It was nice but it was not the spectacular show that represents this room.


Botanical Conservatory: flowering plants

Finally I completed my tour. As I stepped out of the Botanical Conservatory I appreciated anew the neighborhood, the zoo and the Chicago skyline that was the background for the gardens.


Outside of the Botanical Conservatory Looking Toward Downtown

The next part of this long but interesting day was to walk through Lincoln Park Zoo.

No comments: