Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Changing American Family

Well, today was the day. Today the world watched America swear in an African-American President. It was phenomenal. The ocean of people in Washington was mind-boggling. That they all got along for the most part says something about the spirit of the day. I know everybody paid attention to the inauguration, the speech, the oath and the Balls. Me, I kept thinking about the new First Family.

Obama’s family looks like the world. It includes Africans, Indonesians, and Irish. It is a family of every shade of humanity. It includes all classes and backgrounds. In short, this is an American Family in the White House.

It made me think about my extended family. Our family includes African Americans, Russians, Scandinavians, Brits, Mexicans, Appalachians and Native Americans. It includes Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Unitarians, Pagans and non-believers. It includes school drop out and college graduates. I don’t believe any of us will ever be nationally known politicians. However, when I look at the President’s family I believe is looks more like the evolving American Family than the families of past Presidents.

No comments: