Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This Vote Counts



Today my youngest daughter voted in her first Presidential Election. She is a night person and yet awoke at 5 A.M. to get to the polling place by 6 A.M. I don't know who was more excited, my daughter or me.

I then went to school, taught and came home. Cathi and I said goodbye to a visiting friend and then together we voted. This is a special year, our votes in the Presidential election in Indiana finally count, the results are not a given.

At the polling station we waited in a long but cheerful line. Everyone knew that no matter the results we were all participating in history.

No matter who wins it is an end of an era in which two families run the nation. Both candidates are against torture and both seem to believe Americans should not be eavesdropped on without a warrant and just cause. Both care about the environment.

I know the very real differences between these two men. That is what made deciding who to vote for so easy for me. However, I am not one of those folks that will resent the other side if they win. I think both are intelligent, patriotic men who will lead this nation in a far wiser manner than the last eight years.

So, today America is making a choice. Today my family was making a choice. I don't take this for granted, democracy is wonderful, democracy in action is beyond words. So, go, vote and know you made a difference.

No comments: