Saturday, May 10, 2008

Church of the Brethren, a Source of Peace, Working and Praying for Peace

It is difficult for me to think of Peace churches in Fort Wayne without thinking about the Church of the Brethren. They are consistently advocating for peace, are against violence and often take stands that are not easy or popular. They turn the other check and they have my respect.

The Church of the Brethren provides useful resources for its religious education people and all of its lay ministers. On Earth Peace is one such example. Their history of peacemaking is well developed and long-standing. The Church of the Brethren Network provides clear definitions and an historical timeline of its peace history.

As a Fort Wayner I have occasion to interact with our Brethren Christian brothers and sisters. Their Anabaptist history is reflected in the northeast Indiana landscape. Additionally not far from here is Manchester College. This is a beautiful old liberal arts college with a great reputation. Additionally, it peace history runs deep. This is one of the first places I taught at when I arrived in Fort Wayne and it is a place I love.

Like many of the peace groups I mentioned, the Brethren do not act alone. They know peace is all our responsibility and that the Body of Christ is bigger then our denominational understandings. Therefore, they work with many different peace churches, other faiths and other organizations devoted to peace. They are a Church that has my respect and admiration.


VBS Harrisburg First Church of the Brethren

No comments: