Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Bill Sullivan: Right Man, Right Job




Well, I’m feeling kind of proud. My old shelter manager from Hurricane Katrina is doing what he does best, bringing order and compassion to chaos and hurt. Bill Sullivan has responded to Hurricanes Ivan, Charley, Katrina, and Rita. Bill is the DeSoto County Red Cross branch manager.

Well, he is in California responding to the wildfires. However, he isn’t just in California, he has been appointed the National Red Cross assistant mass care administrator in the San Bernardino headquarters. He is responsible for the running of 14 Red Cross shelters in San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange counties.

According to Red Cross reports, the wildfires have burned more than 500,000 acres of Southern California. Bill described the fire as a “super firestorm, like a train coming in on fire." Bill is aware he is working in a desert, a desert drier than normal. The area is covered with natural kindling, the Santa Ana winds may pick back up, the situation is dangerous.

I worked with Bill in Citronelle Alabama. He was a joy to work for. I know Bill to be a funny, compassionate, problem-solver. He is a team player who focuses on the task and not on who is getting the credit or the glory. I am sure he is the right man for the job.

And now I hear he is mixing it up with the Hollywood stars, you go Bill! He coordinated with some stars during the relief effort. That includes Mario Lopez, who is currently known from "Dancing with the Stars" but is also familiar to many folks who have watched "Saved By The Bell." He also worked with Elizabeth Rohm from “Law and Order” (O.K., so I am a little bit jealous!)

Bill Sullivan you are one lucky man, but then, you earned it. I wish I was there working along side of you. Keep up the good work, people are depending on you.

1 comment:

Bill Sullivan said...

Thank you for the kind words Carl, wish you could have been there with me.

Bill Sullivan